At Better Lives Foundation, we want to create sustainable communities through free education and medical support.
Who we are
Better Lives Foundation (BLF) is a UK registered charity number 1122290 that works to better people’s lives in West Africa and North India.
Yonibana Sai Hospital was constructed and opened in 2009. It is a fully-equipped hospital with maternal, malnourished programs, a surgical theatre, dental room and optical service and more.
We are the only hospital in Sierra Leone that provides free care for all regardless of age.All our international volunteers including doctors, dentists, optometrists, nurses, engineers, teachers, accountants and IT specialists, offer their services and expertise completely free of charge including meeting their own travel, accommodation and food costs.
We have a continous rota of medical and non medical volunteers visiting Yonibana Sai Hospital to offer their services and teach the staff. Contact us if you wish to add your name to the rota.
How can I help?
As the needs of the community increase, we're now expanding the current hospital but we cannot do it without your generosity and support. Your donation will empower us to build a sustainable community.
Your donations in the form of kindness and compassion will enable us expand and construct the following:
- Neonatal and Maternity Unit
- Ophthalmology Unit
- Dental Unit
- Inpatient General Medicine
- Surgery unit
- Radiology unit
- Laboratory diagnostics
The aim is to turn these into accredited teaching institutes. The energy needs for this construction will ideally be met by solar power. Fibre optic internet will be installed with the help of the Ministry of Communication and Information.
The grounds of 25.7 acres are owned by Better Lives Foundation and this expansion plan is being undertaken to enhance the current level of medical and educational services being provided to the Yoni Chiefdom (district).
What we have done so far...
Over 90,000 patients have been treated totally free:
- 8,158 eye consultation/spectacles dispensed
- 373 cataract surgeries with IOL lens
- 189 Hernia surgeries
- Over 10,255 dental extractions
- Referral hospital in the 4 sisters chiefdom, Yoni Mamala, Yoni Mabanta, Mabang & Malal Mara chiefdom
- 75 students Sponsored from secondary to graduate level in medical and non-medical programmes
- The number of death rate has sharply decrease as before people walked about 3 -5 miles just to seek medical care, 105 miles for the main district hospital.
- The malnutrition program where children are now gaining their normal or required Weight through the weekly supply of Malnourish foods
- Controlling STI 's, and conducting health talks to grass root people through health outreach programmes is also helpful in the community, with percentage in decreased diseases
- Social work outreach programs educating and training villagers and community on the protocols of Covid-19
- Donation of Wash hand stations to several villages and police check point areas to minimise infection
- 65% Malaria cases have dropped as compare to previously before the establishment of Yonibana Sai Hospital.
Why we're raising money
Our dream is for every individual in Yonibana to have a fair chance to survive, thrive and achieve their full potential. We believe in a future where kids spend less time worrying and more time learning at school and dreaming of a future. A child’s smile is the best reward for our work.
We want to empower a community with the tools and knowledge they need to transform their futures.